The following are instructions on how to file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the Alton School District:
1. Please make your request for records in writing. The Alton School District does not require the completion of a standard form for this purpose. You may submit your written request by mail, fax or e-mail. Please direct your request to:
2. Please be as specific as possible when describing the records you are seeking. Remember, the Freedom of Information Act is designed to allow you to inspect or receive copies of records. It is not designed to require a public body to answer questions. To the extent that you wish to ask questions you may call our District Office at (618) 474-2600 to be directed to the proper person.
3. Please tell us whether you would like copies of the requested records, or whether you wish to examine the records in person. You have the right to either option.
4. There is no fee for up to 50 pages of standard paper copies. For pages beyond 50, there is a .15-cent-per-page charge.
5. You are permitted to ask for a waiver of copying fees. To do so, please include the following statement (or a similar statement) in your written FOIA request: “I request a waiver of all fees associated with this request.” In addition, you must include a specific explanation as to why your request for information is in the public interest—not simply your personal interest—and merits a fee waiver.
6. Please include your name, preferred telephone number(s), mailing address, and, if you wish, your electronic mail address.